STEROID MYTH BUSTER
Myth 1 - Steroids are Safe
FALSE: Side effects are significantly more serious the younger the person taking anabolic steroids. They include liver cancers, hepatitis, heart disease, cholesterol elevation, blood sugar elevation, epileptic fits, fluid retention and ultimately heart - attack and stroke as well as cosmetic effects such as virilization (early or excess growth of male characteristics) in males, early fusion of growing bones (stops growth) in teenagers, androgenization (loss of feminine sexual characteristics) in females and growth of breasts in males.
Myth 2 - Steroids Won't Really Stunt Your Growth
FALSE: Teenagers and adolescents who abuse anabolic/ androgenic steroids are at risk to remain short their entire lives. This is due to the steroids tricking the body and speeding up the natural growth process.
Myth 3 - All Steroids Are Practically The Same
FALSE: Anabolic steroids mainly target muscle and skeletal tissue growth. Anabolics differ from other steroids such as corticosteroids which are used to treat inflamation in diseases, asthma and extreme cases of allergies.
Myth 4 - Steroid Abuse Isn't A Big Problem
FALSE: It is not solely a problem within the body building and athletic worlds now. Research has shown that it is a major growing problem and users of anabolic steroids are more prevalent than heroin abusers. Bowing down to peer pressure, wanting the perfect body, being bullied, false sense of accomplishment are some of the reasons people are turning to steroids.At the same time devastating damage is being done to their bodies and often becomes an addiction.
Myth 5 - Steroids Are Not Addictive
FALSE: What can be determined about the addictiveness of anabolic steroids when abusers experience withdrawal symptoms ranging from fatigue, mood swings, reduced sex drive, restlessness and insomnia, and a desire to take more steroids ? It has been known that normally sound minded individuals would attempt suicide after quitting steroids.
Myth 6 - It Is Hard To Get Caught Buying Steroids Over The Internet
FALSE: The newest and fastest scams growing to get caught out buying steroids over the internet. This could be from not sending through steroids that are paid for to supplying counterfeit drugs.
Myth 7 - Roid Rage Isn't Real
FALSE: Changes in mood and behaviour is a commonly acknowledged side effect of taking anabolic steroids. Severe cases have led to murder, suicide and criminal behaviour.
1. Cycle - a period of steroid use, often 8 or more weeks in length, followed by a similar period of disuse. This is known as a cycle on and off AAS.
2. Pyramiding - this is when users build up to the heaviest dose on a cycle.
3. Stacking - this process of combining drugs or using more than one drug within a cycle.
4. Tappering - this is opposite to pyramiding. Users begin with the highest dose and gradually decrease.
5. Pin or Dart - these are needles used with syringes for injections.
6. UG or UGL - underground labs or clandestine laboratories that produce AAS.
7. Gear/Juice / Vitamin S - Anabolic steroids.
8. Test - Testosterone.
9. Deca - this is slang name for Nandrolone Decanoate which was originally sold under the trade name Deca-Durablin.
10. D-bol - This is the slang name for Methandrostenolone, which was originally sold under the trade name Dianbol.
11. A-bombs - this is a slang name for Oxymetholone which was originally sold under the trade name Anandrol.
12. Var - this is a slang name for Oxandrolone which was originally sold under the trade name of Anavar.
13. Winny/Winnie - this is a slang name for Stanozlol which was originally sold under the trade name of Winstrol.
14. EQ - this is the slang name for a veterinary drug called Boldenone Undeclynate originally sold under the trade name of Equipoise.
15. AAS - Anabolic Androgenic Steroids - this is medically accepted abbreviation for steroids.
16. Tren - this is the slang name for any form of the drug Trenbolone which is available in several forms.
17. Clen - Clenbuterol is not an anabolic steroid it is a prescription asthma medication that is used in high enough doses increasing the metabolic rate, thus reducing body fat.
2Smart Roadshow Brentwood
The 2Smart Roadshow now includes steroid awareness and has reached over 15,000 Year 7 pupils this year.